Wednesday, November 3, 2010

takin a day...er a.....week


When I was younger I was super busy. And every so often I would totally burn out and need to take a day to reboot. A Shawna Day. The mother totally encouraged these days. A day where I got to stay home from school and skip out on gymnastics that night. I loved these days.

But as I get older, a day sometimes just isn't enough. And what I'm finding is that more than a rest for the body, what I need now is a rest for the mind. * Meditation, I know. I'm working on it. *

I cherish these weeks (yes, I usually take a whole week) where I completely allow myself to zone out. Let go of the things that I should be doing in my spare time and just do whatever the f I want.
This means:
*Playing computer games on my periods off at school, while I should be writing, or planning or doing anything productive.
*Endless knitting while streaming episode after episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm, while I should be reading or writing or doing anything productive.
*Surfing fashion and gossip mags on the internet, while I should be reading or writing or...well you get the point.
*Eating cake for breakfast....and maybe dinner. I know this has nothing to do with the mind, but come on, it's cake.

It took me a while to accept these weeks as a part of my existence. I viewed them as a total waste of time and something that I should feel bad about. Not anymore. I realise that just as I needed time in my younger years to re-fuel the bod, I now need time to re-fresh the brain. And you know what, it's okay. It's human. I'm human.

So, there's probably more that I could say about this but Larry David is calling my name and that baby blanket isn't exactly going to knit itself.

~peace :)

No comments:

Post a Comment