Friday, October 5, 2012

money money money mo-nay



This month is all about finances.  And although watching every dollar come in and out most likely will not make me happier, at the end of the day actually dealing with my finances might.

For years, my parents would sit me down to have 'the talk'.  No this talk was not about the birds and the bees, I knew about that.  This talk was about money.  My eyes would glaze over, Salt 'n Peppa's Shoop would play on repeat in my head and 'the talk' would end with me just walking out the door.

Student debt, a maxed out credit card and a struggling yoga teacher's salary does not a happy budget make.  But for the first time ever I'm excited to tackle my bank account.

If last month is any indication, writing out a chart of my resolutions will help me to make better decisions throughout the day.  Through writing down the things I thought would give me more energy and then tracking them at the end of each day, I've become a conscious choice maker. 

With the intention of being out of bed by 7:30am, I set my alarm in the morning to get me up and get my day going even if my first class isn't til noon.

If I know I don't have time to get for a long walk during the day, I leave a little bit earlier so that I can walk to and from work. 

Every time I go to make a meal, my chart flashes to mind, and that box beside '3 servings of veggies' is just screaming to be checked.

On the other hand, saying yes to that fifth glass of wine at the end of the night probably not the best idea, but at least I'm aware of the fact that I'm making a decision to drink that fifth glass of wine.  And when I feel  like shit the next day, I can clearly track it back to decisions made.

Already this week with each purchase I make, I'm running up the tally in my head to see if I'm within my budget; and then analyzing what's in my hand based on what I want vs what I  need.  Do I need new shampoo?  Yes.  Do I need a new sable coloured hand towel for the washroom becuase it's fall?  Probably not. Did I get it anyways?  Yes.  Again, just because I'm aware and making choices more consciously doesn't always mean that I'll make the right choice, just that I'm aware.

I'm going to keep up with my resolutions from last month, because I do feel like I have more energy and I think that those are resolutions I'd like to keep going for a long while.

This months resolutions with regards to finance are a bit different.  Some are daily and some are just things that I'd like to do within the month. 

Daily:
~ write down every dollar spent and what it's spent on
~ follow a daily/weekly budget
~ read one article about basic finance

Within the Month:
~ visit with a financial planner
~ read The Wealthy Barber (which I've already started and am actually enjoying.  An old Christmas present from my parents one year that was promplty tossed in a box.  I've had to borrow my parents copy)

So, will having more energy and a better handle on my finances actually make me happier??  I have no idea.  But so far having resolutions and making choices consciously is definitely making me feel good.


No comments:

Post a Comment