Thursday, February 6, 2014

random acts of kindness

 
 
I got stuck in a snow bank on my way home from work tonight.  It was the perfect ending to one of those days when I really start wonder if I am, in fact on the right path.  Should I be doing something different?  Something more lucrative?  Something more stable?
 
Every now and again I experience a day of doubt.  I wonder if I'm actually making a difference, if I'm really connecting with people in a real way.  These doubts never last long and are often overcome by random acts of kindness.  I'll witness a young man open the door for someone, an old woman let someone in line ahead of them at the grocery store.  Little things to remind me that we are all ONE.  And that there is a lot of good in everyone.
 
Today, that random little act happened to me.  Stuck in the snow, I threw on my 4-ways and decided to just wait until Mike came home to help me out.  (Yoga has taught me: be patient, and breathe).  Cars drove by and many stopped to see if I was okay.  A couple walked by and stopped for a little chat making sure I was alright and had a plan.  A woman, not much bigger than myself actually tried to push me out on her own.  Amazing.  And then a young man hopped out of his car to try.  One person was not enough.  He came to my window and said "Sit tight, I'm going for re-enforcements".  He recruited two other guys and together they heaved me out of that snow bank and then just all went on with their day.  I hollered my thanks with my faith restored.
 
This had nothing to do with yoga, or with my work, but damn did it make me feel connected and grateful and somehow assure me that I am, in fact on the right path.
 
Dear random strangers performing random acts of kindness
 
"THANK YOU"
 
Love,
Shawna


No comments:

Post a Comment