Thursday, August 5, 2010

shoooooool's out!



It's here, finally! Vacation!

Another semester, my third here, has come and gone and this is what I've learned.

* Kids love to sing! Any song that they know the words to they will belt out. And this isn't just the young ones, the 6ers love such classics as "The Pizza Song" just as much as the first graders. Whenever I have an extra 10 mins to kill in class I know that I can rely on the gift of song.

*Pinching helps. Things here in Korea are much different in the education system than back home. One of the main differences is that teachers are allowed to discipline the kids in any way they see fit. I have mixed feelings on this. I do not by any means actually get physical with me kids. However I have found that a little pinch on the arm along with a sly smile goes a long way to get a kids attention.

* Kids love stickers. I mean love stickers. And they don't even have to be fuzzy, smelly or shiny. Just plain old blue and red circle stickers and kids will do what you ask of them.

* Kids think I understand Korean. And rightfully so, I have been here for quite a while now and should know more of the language. I don't. So they go right on telling me about their day and about what that little boy just did to that little girl and who I should be getting into trouble. It's adorable. And the younger they are the more they have to say. And the more they have to say the more I just smile and nod a pretend to understand.

Reading over this I realize that for all you "real" teachers out there I may be going against every rule in the book. But....what can you do? This is just the way it's done here. :P

~peace and hugs

No comments:

Post a Comment