Sunday, August 1, 2010

Sat Nam



I did a Kundalini yoga session on Thursday after school and just today the stiffness has subsided. This was by far the hardest yoga practice I have done. Lots of movement. Repetitive movement that just keeps going and going way beyond when you think it's time to stop. The instructor kept saying that this is a principal of kundalini yoga; to continue each movement past when the brain says it is time to stop. In doing this we take our practise out of the head and into the heart. And so, on and on we went.

I found it tough to get started but once I closed my eyes and allowed myself to go inward, my body started to loosen and I began to really get into the flow of it all. A delicious little practise that I will definitely revisit. It woke me up and left me feeling freeer in my body.

Throughout the session the instructor used the mantra Sat Nam. This is a new mantra to me and I love it.

Sat - Truth
Nam - Identity

Sat Nam - the truth is my identity and I call upon the eternal truth that resides in all of us. Chanting this mantra is said to awaken the soul.

Lovely, right?

I began to bring this mantra into my breathing

Inhaling Sat, exhaling Nam.

I do love the true meaning of this mantra, however I have to say that by disconnecting that Sat from the Nam I felt that I gained a deeper, personal connection to Sat Nam

Inhale the truth, exhale the ego.

As I went through this practise, all 67 sweaty minutes of it, I focused on bringing in the truth. My truth. The eternal truth. Any truth. And letting go of the ego. Breaking down the things that I identify with that in some way or another have come together and formed this dam of attachments that is restricing the flow of Truth.

And this, I have to say...awakened my soul.

And so for the time being as I go through the day repeating Sat Nam every so often I am going to stick with my tweaked version of it.

Inhale truth
Exhale ego

~India hasn't patented mantras yet have they?~

No comments:

Post a Comment