Sunday, January 2, 2011

happy theme year!



And in this corner.....the year...2011!!!!!!

I've talked in the past about Mondays being my big day for change. Fresh week, fresh start. Well, let me tell you how I feel about the start of a new year. Talk about a clean slate!!!

It's been a few years since I've actually sat down on January 1st, pen in hand to hash out my goals for the year. In part, because I am constantly setting new goals for myself throughout the year. In part, because I never finish the goals I set out for myself throughout the year. And in part, because in the past the goals always looked like this; workout more, eat healthier, lose weight, stop smoking, drink less, save money.

I call these the "I'm not very happy with my current self" goals. Classic, timeless, universal, whatever. These are standard goals that really don't make you feel very good about yourself as you go over all the food, smokes and drinks you consumed the night before. I even did a little "googling" and 9 times out of 10 these were among the top 10 resolutions.

And they are all great goals, but being set year after year tends to pick away at the soul a bit. So I stopped. I stopped the cycle of starting off each year by creating a running total of all of my flaws.

But this year, this year I am making a resolution!!!! And one that I hope to keep because, well, that's what the resolution is....follow through! I resolve to follow through on my goals. I'm not going to make any specific goals for myself because I have no idea where I'm going to be in 2011 or what the year will to bring.

So I'm going to set a couple of themes instead.

Theme # 1 - as mentioned above is follow through. As things come up and goals are set, I AM GOING TO FINISH THEM!!!!!
Theme # 2 - give more. Give more of my time and energy to the people who need it.
Theme # 3 - take less. Regardless of where I am in the world or what I'm doing I am going to start living a greener life.
Theme # 4 - open up. Let go of my expectations and open up to the "rhythm of the universe".

I'm so excited for 2011! My time in Korea is almost finished and then I'm free. Freeer than I've ever been - freeer than I probably ever will be again. No commitments, no job, no set plan. Just an open road of endless possibility.

Breathe. Open up. Give. Love. Live.

Go!

No comments:

Post a Comment