Wednesday, January 5, 2011

beans, beans, they're good for your heart...


Day 12 folks. It's been 12 days (not counting NYE) since I have allowed myself to really indulge.

I have a few things to say about this.

1) My body is loving this!!!! I have more energy throughout the day. I'm able to get out of bed in the morning without 15 snooze hits. I feel lighter. And, dare I say - I have a bit more patience with my little kiddies at school.

2) Dr. Joshi says that by sticking to this detox for three weeks your palate will change. Well, I will say this - I have had very few cravings (aside from the odd chocolate and wine crave) since starting this. But I don't really have many cravings on the daily anyways. And if by "palate changing" he means "you will lose all interest in food". Then yes, my palate has changed.

This, is not a welcome change. I love food! I love everything about the process of eating. Thinking about what I'm going to eat, going to the grocer to pick up what's needed, coming home to prep, stealing little tastes here and there during the making and then sitting down to enjoy. ~Notice how there was no mention of dishes...those I can do without.

3) I'm finding this detox quite limiting and a bit bland with what little resources we have here. The other day I made a bean salad, enough for both Mike and I to bring to school for lunch for a few days. Day 1, salad was tasting pretty good. Day 2, couldn't even bring myself to open the container come lunch time - so went out for fish soup instead. Day 3, had a hard time getting through it but I found that by going slowly - one bean at a time - I could finish it off and have enough energy to last me until the next meal. Where's the enjoyment there?

I feel robbed, robbed of my hunger. Did I mention that I LOVE food. Larry David put it best when, upon finding out he couldn't eat Tuna sandwiches because of it's mercury content he said "lunch is now the hardest part of my day". Preachin' to the choir LD. Preachin'. to. the. choir.

So, all bitching aside, I really am finding that my body is totally diggin' the natural foods. I'm also finding that I'm taking more time to really learn about what I'm eating. And I have to admit that all of the time in the kitchen experimenting with different things is pretty fun...despite my kitchen being the size of an easy bake oven. We even gave homemade mayo a try. Round 1 = a miss, but will try again.

This detox takes some patience and creativity. When I think about how to keep things varied for the next week I have to use every ounce of restraint from going into my speed dial for PIZZA. Yes, we have pizza in our phone. But, I find if I just look at it as one day, one meal, one bean at a time I know I can stick with it.

I'm actually quite looking forward to incorporating a lot of these changes into the daily. I'm also quite looking forward to my post-detox glass of wine and plate au cheese! Oh ya.

And...who's kidding who - or is it whom? Anyways, I'm following Dr. Joshi's advice and allowing some leniancy as I go.
~She says as she picks the chocolate covered acai berries from her teeth.~

~peace :)

No comments:

Post a Comment