Wednesday, February 9, 2011

ghosts of challenges past



I'm determined to keep this challenge out of the "goal graveyard". That sad place that houses all of my failures. For a time that sad place was more private, like locked away in a journal or in the failing memory of my mind. But now, it's out there for all (5 of you) to see.

What - aside from the fact that my actual new years resolution is to stick to my resolutions - is going to make this challenge different? How can I approach this in such a way as to make sure that I follow through?

Let's get to the root of it.

I think some of the trouble I've had with sticking to things like this in the past has been a lack of reason. I haven't really felt sure about why exactly I was doing certain challenges in the first place. Personal challenges should be fun. But I found that some things I signed up for and started more because I thought that I should be doing them rather than really wanting to do them.

So I ask myself "do I want to do this challenge?" Yes. I do!

I've also had a hard time with perfection...or better put, the lack of perfection. I AM NOT A PERFECTIONIST!!!! However, when I do these challenges I get so frustrated with myself if I miss a day that I end up missing the whole point.

Do I need perfection in my life? No. Is it okay to miss a day? Yes. Okay then, it's settled, I'll be easier on myself.

The other thing, and this is a biggie, is a serious lack of focus on my part. I get side tracked so easily. I'll start a challenge but then something else will catch my attention and in the blink of an eye... wait a minute, what was I saying?

Oh ya, focus. This has been a serious issue of mine lately and something that I'm hoping will improve through a daily practice.

So, why am I doing this challenge?

I love the way that yoga makes me feel. It's both calming and empowering and leaves my body feeling relaxed and strong.

I love writing. It's cathartic. And this isn't always going to be in the form of a blog, but journalling, free writing really helps me to sort out my shit.

These are two things that I love to do, and make me feel great, but actually take a bit of effort to get started. Have I mentioned before that I suffer from a major affliction of l-a-z-y from time to time? I need to get myself into a daily habit of stepping onto the mat and sitting down to hash it all out. It's good for the soul yo!

I know I can do this!

2011, year of the rabbit...year of the "doer".

No comments:

Post a Comment