Sunday, February 13, 2011

shhh...don't tell



Truth or dare?

Truth

Okay, what are your top 5 dirty little secrets?

Ooh, good one. Here they are.

1) Gossip Girl.  I watch Gossip Girl.  Hello, my name is Shawna and I'm a Gossip Girl aholic.  Okay, wow even just saying it outloud makes me feel better.  This has to be the smuttiest, worst message for teens show out there.  But, I watch it.  And... I kinda (lotta) like it.

2) Taylor Swift. I know every lyric to every song off of her first two albums. The only reason I don't know the words to her third,  simple,  I don't own it yet.

3) Knitting is my new favourite pass-time. I love the sound the wood makes as the needles click together as I knit one purl two. It relaxes me. I can sit and knit for hours and totally lose myself in the project at hand.   Knitting connects me to loved ones. Everything I've knit has been for someone dear to me, so as I sit there, yarn in hand the receiver is always on my mind. It's lovely really.  It's meditative. Counting the stitches the same way you'd count your breath during asana. "In, loop and scoop" becomes my mantra as I work my way through each row. I sit cross legged reminding myself to lengthen my spine and relax my shoulders for a little knitasana.

4) I read more than I do. My yoga practice this year has conisisted of quite a bit more reading about yoga than actually doing yoga. And I'm not talking about reading the Bhagavad Gita or some other ancient yogic text which would enlighten me in some way. I just read random shit on yoga. Which keeps me in the 'yoga loop' but isn't exactly leading to a more yogic lifestyle. Right now, in all honesty, I feel a bit like a yoga poser.

5) I'm a scaredy cat. I'm afraid of the usual things like spiders and sharks and hubcaps flying off of cars and knocking me out. But I also have a huge fear of failure. So what have I been doing...nothing. ~Wow, this is starting to look like a theme of mine.~ I'm so afraid that I'm going to put myself out there and no one is going to grab that I just don't. I want to write. Like for other people to read. And I've started this blog which is good but there are all these other public mediums for me to get involved with - ones that I've even looked into and been given the green light - and I just don't do it. I'm afraid that I won't be good enough, that no one will want to read what I have to say.  Will my writing be interesting enough, quirky enough, meaningful? Will someone come away after reading something I've written and have a reaction to it? Uh, just thinking about it makes me feel funny. I need to learn to detach from these things and just go for it. I admire people who put it all out there and dont' give a damn who bites. Writing is about personal expression and I want to be able to express myself without the need to be validated by others.

So there they are, my 5 dirty little secrets.

Oh, and here's a freebie just for fun...I collect bookmarks...'nuff said.

Your turn. Truth or dare?

No comments:

Post a Comment