Wednesday, February 23, 2011

indoneeeesia


"Adventure looms large in this vast and steamy archipelago, where the best of Southeast Asia’s spicy melange simmers tantalisingly. Heady scents, vivid colours, dramatic vistas and diverse cultures spin and multiply to the point of exhaustion, their potent brew leaving your senses reeling." ~Lonely Planet

I want to go to there.

A few Sundays ago I bought the Lonely Planet for Indonesia.  Over the last couple of weeks, just flipping through the pages has been enough to leave my heart reeling for the adventure to come.  But now it's official!  Mike and I booked our tickets and are going to be flying into Bali -where we'll be starting our travels - next Friday!  I am so excited.  Like just sitting here typing this thinking of it all has me smiling uncontrollably.  We've dubbed this trip as "the trip of a lifetime".  No pressure right?

I was all pumped up yesterday after booking our ticket and doing some packing, so I rolled out the mat for some yoga.  I had no plan of what to do, I just knew that I needed it.  For the last two weeks I have been getting on the mat almost daily (I am doing pretty well with this challenge if I do say so myself), but my practice hasn't been very varied.  I'm getting over a sprained ankle and so have been sticking to what I know in the world of pilates and getting in some yin yoga through seated postures.  I've been enjoying it and my body is feeling great, but it's been quite repetitive and to-the-point.

But last night, I rolled out the mat and without thinking about it, came to tadasana.  I had no plan of action, just a need to move.  I started off with a couple of sun salutations, nice and slow, holding a lunge here and a plank there.  I then moved into some standing postures allowing myself to take a vinyasa whenever my body wanted the flow.  It was lovely.  I usually go in with a plan.  I always have a plan!  But last night I really did just move from the heart and I could feel myself opening up to the practice.

This is exactly what I needed.  And this is now the plan for Indonesia.  The only plan.  Move from the heart and go with the flow.  Where there's water, I'll swim.  A bench, I'll sit.  A swing, I'll swing.  ...but only if I want to...  I'll stay in one place as long as I like while I open up to my surroundings, or if the mood isn't right, I'll move on and flow to the next spot.

I called myself a yoga poser the other day, but maybe all this random shit I'm reading has actually sunk in a little bit.  Much like what I've been searching for out of my yoga practice,  I want this next few months to be full of curiosity, seva, play, creativity, love, and joy.   And I couldn't be happier than to be sharing it all with my homeboy.

Unity in Diversity - The slogan of this beautiful country...yes please!

No comments:

Post a Comment