Wednesday, May 26, 2010

what am I waiting for?


In the last year there has been a lot of reading, a lot of thinking and a lot of talking, but not so much when it comes to the doing. I am a chronic planner with a serious side of procrastination. "I'm going to do this when I go here". It's true that a new location, new job, new week, anything is good inspiration for getting your shit together, but what about today. What's wrong with today?

There are so many things that I want to accomplish in my life and just reading or thinking about them is not going to get me there. I understand that thoughts are the foundation for action, however how long can one stand in the midst of it all without starting to build before they become "all talk".

"The ability to convert ideas to things is the secret to outward success".
~Henry Ward Beecher~

Conversion. Action. Gumption. I need gumption.

I look at other people out there in the world who are around my age and are doing the things that I want to do and are doing them well and I think "that could be me".

And it's not just the big things, like world domination, but the little things, like "I'm going to eat healthier, drink less and save more..." For example a friend of mine advised that I should try to commit to writing a few times a week, saying that 'I am a writer for no other reason than I write'. True enough. So, I'm sitting here at my desk, classes are done for the day and I'm basically just looking for ways to kill time and I think "I should blog", immediately followed by, "I'll just wait until Monday". For me, life starts on Monday. Which means that every Monday I'm slightly disappointed in myself which leads to Tuesday being a big day of goal setting....it's exhausting.

And so what comes out of this? A new plan! A plan to do, to be a doer! Not Monday, not next month, not once I get to the next place, but today!

Ready, set, go!

No comments:

Post a Comment