Wednesday, September 15, 2010

ssly - the law of karma


"what we reap is what we sow, and so it goes" ~ kid rock (my man)

In the law of Karma (cause and effect) Deepak points out that it's important to shift our way of thinking from viewing karma as binding or jailing and open up to the freedom that it provides. Typically, karma is referred to as being good or bad. Deepak is taking us away from this "definitive unchanging" view of karma and bringing us into a world of choices.

I have never really been interested in Karma due to the all-or-nothing approach that I associated with it. And so to see this as the third law was initially a little off-putting. Karma is often linked to ones actions or deeds which I find is what gives it this connotation of being good or bad - positive or negative.

However, after reading about karma in the sense of choices, I feel I can now relate a little more. I feel myself opening up the the idea of karma as it comes out of the world of good and bad and just lays out on the table as a mix of past choices. It is not about whether your future will be bright or dark but about where you are now and how you are handling your current situation - and how this handling is going to affect what's to come.

Karma is about choices. Conscious choice making.

It's important for us to become consciously aware of the choices that we are making. It is the conscious as well as unconscious choices that shape our future. We need to move away from the knee-jerk reactions - because although they are conditioned and come without "thought", they are still choices.

Conscious choice making can be very empowering. It's about taking control of your life. It takes away from the "why me" syndrome and allows you to take ownership of your choices and their outcomes.

Deepak suggests that with each choice you make, you ask yourself:

"What are the consequences of the choice I am making"?

"Will the choice I'm making now bring happiness to me and those around me"

He also suggests that when making a choice, pay attention to the response that takes place in your body.

Listen.

Move from your heart.

This weeks mantra

Om Kriyam Namah
My actions are aligned with cosmic law

And for your listening pleasure click here

No comments:

Post a Comment