Tuesday, September 7, 2010

you want me to put my what where?


Yoga class last night went something like this - set your intention - sun salutations - stretch your glutes - now try to put your foot behind your head. What!?!

When people think of pretzly yogis I think that this pose is one that comes to mind. However, through my practise both on the mat and off I have yet to come across it. So, it was a bit of a surprise to me when my instructor had us all laying on our backs wiggling around trying to work it out. It, did not get worked out. At least not for me.

On the walk home I wondered if this "leg behind your head" pose was even legit and what's the point. Sometimes I wonder if teachers just have us do things for their own amusement. I mean, legs behind your head, what a stupid frustrating pose. So I did some googling and there it was - Eka Pada Sirsasana in all it's glory.

And I learned that there are in fact benefits - good benefits.

This pose is said to

*eliminate toxins
*improve hemoglobin levels
*purify the heart and lungs
*energize the body and mind

Maybe it's not such a stupid pose after all. But for where I'm at in my yoga journey it remains to be one of serious frustration.

Yoga is a challenge for me. Typically a good challenge, one that keeps me coming back to the mat. But every so often I encounter a pose that is just soooo f'ing frustrating. A pose that with a slap in the face reminds me of just how far away I am from the athlete I used to be.

I remember the years I spent at the gym club (gymnastics). I had such strength and determination. I had the confidence in myself and my body to try anything. And sometimes it would work out, and sometimes I would fall - hard. But I would always try. And now, I shy away from difficult hikes for fear that I will be left for dead at the top.

Yoga helps to calm and centre and blah blah peacey stuff but for me it's a serious motivator and tool to get back that strength and confidence of my youth. And you know what, so far it's working.

Some people know that they've "made it" when they own their first car, house or whatever big thing they strive for. I will be satisfied for having "made it" the day my foot rests atop my shoulders with ease.

1 comment: