Wednesday, December 21, 2011

reverb 17 - Bhakti - Devotion

What did you devote yourself to in 2011?  How will you devote your energy in 2012?


This year I devoted myself to many things: Yoga, writing, my homeboy, my family.  But most of all I devoted myself to being happy.


Next year I will devote myself to the "moment".  To staying connected to my surroundings, to myself and to the present.


June 12th, 2011


A woman tried to sell me something the other day that I already had.  I declined, politely, letting her know that "I already have one".


"For your sister than."
"I don't have a sister."
"We all have sisters."


In a land made up of villages everyone is family, we all have brothers and sisters.  If one thing was impressed upon me through Yoga Teacher Training it's that 'we are all one'.




Indonesians believe this, they live it. 


I'm sitting here overlooking the ocean, the wind is rustling through the trees and the Bintang is going down smoother than I'd like to admit.  The sky is filled with globs of cotton candy and the sun is checking out for the day.  It's beautiful.  Peaceful.  I do feel 'at one'.


I wonder how I'm going to take this feeling home.  Where an only child is an only child and making your 'own way' is revered.  Independence, individuality, the strength to stand on your own two feet are your trump cards.  Proof that you're making it.  Bigger is better.  Richer, Faster, Stronger.  Where is the love?  Where do I belong?  How can we all be one when we're all trying to one up eachother?


What can I do to make a difference?  As Barbara Kingsolver says "I'm going to be the best animal I can today".  - and spread the message, spread the love!

No comments:

Post a Comment