Friday, June 11, 2010

blah blah blah



My saving grace over the last couple of years of not regularly attending yoga classes has been My yoga online. Awesome community based website which allows you to practice with wonderful teachers from all over the world right in your own home. Doesn't get easier (or cheaper) than this.

I have yet to really find a form of yoga that I gravitate towards. I love all styles of yoga, which is great as it allows me to take a variety of classes. I spend about 15 minutes online choosing which class to take before I set up my mat. And it is not the length, level or style of class that I am searching for, it is the instructor. I am searching for an instructor who just knows when enough is enough. Who appreciates the age old saying "silence is golden".

I literally skim through the video before committing to it to see just how much the instructor blabs during the session. As an instructor myself I understand that there are certain cues and reminders that you need to give your students and I am very appreciative of those during a class. However, some instructors it seems talk just to talk, about the philosophy of yoga, the history of yoga. And this to me is a turn off. Which is unfortunate because there have been many sequences that I've done that I've totally dug but won't do again due to the sheer blab factor.

A great benefit of taking classes is taking away little bits and pieces that help you to become a better instructor yourself and I've gotta say one of the main things that I've taken away from various classes is that silence during a session is okay. It gives us time to really focus on the breath, give ourselves our own little cues and reminders. But mainly a little silence just makes the class more personal and enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment