Tuesday, June 22, 2010

korean made easy



I have been here for a year and a half and just last night I bought my first Korean language book. Korean made Easy. And I am pretty excited to get started. Coming over here I had so many plans to learn the culture learn the language, not just be a Canadian living in Korea but to really immerse myself into the land of the morning calm. And at first I did...kinda. But time goes on and you realize that you are just a Canadian living in a foreign land and that's okay.

You take in the things you love about Korea, try to avoid that things you don't (and trust me there are a lot of those), and just go on being who you are. And I can honestly say that this proud Canadian has found a home here in Korea....at least for the time being.

Mike and I have "our spots" where we go quite frequently to eat. Coming and going from our apartment we see all of the same faces through the demolished alley way that is our home and share a lot of friendly nods and "anyong haseyo's". And despite not understanding a lick of the language I have become totally accustomed to being surrounded by the murr of Korean. It's nice actually to not always understand what is going on. It becomes a bit of background noise rather than being a distractor while you're out.

But this is how I really know I'm feeling Korea lately. Last night at 4:06 am I was woken up to loud cheers from my neighbours as Korea scored a goal to tie up the game with Nigeria......and I didn't mind. It actually kinda made me smile. And I was excited to know that Korea would be going on to the next round.

I don't even like soccer. But, you know, when in Rome...

No comments:

Post a Comment